Cricket Leinster: Social Cricket Focus Group - Tuesday 15th January 2019 (Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan)
Response from Philip Smith, Cricket Leinster.
Firstly thanks for your participation at our Social Cricket Focus Group Meeting - your individual and collective contributions to the discussion were very much appreciated.
As promised, just following up with the key themes/actions captured on the night:
- Huge social cricket fabric with highly committed players and administrators.
- Social aspect of the game most important, feeling that ‘league element’ would undermine ethos.
- CL to issue specific insurance advice to all attendees and examine a simple means of player registration that might address any issues following consultation with our broker.
- CL to provide some details on Child Protection and associated processes and documentation for teams.
- There would be benefit in CL providing a conduit for information on tours and matches generally for promotional purposes (both in-bound and out-bound).
- Commitment from CL to examine new website offering to ensure that it supports the growth and development of social cricket through increased awareness, communication and information sharing.
The benefits of this include a means of finding a team (at last moment even) for a fixture, a means of finding players who might like a match if short, for beginners looking to take up the sport, something around touring sides and contact names, details etc.
- Consideration of potential Social Festival concept to mark CL Centenary in 2019 with a Finals Day in Trinity College – options to be reviewed.
- CL to introduce a ‘Taverners Team of the Year’ award, voted for by the teams (no votes for ones own team) – universally accepted as a great idea, potentially for a trophy in memory of the late Gerry Fennell (North Kildare); also agreed to engage with Henry McNabb about supporting the Arthur Deeny Cup event in 2019.
- All Social Cricket/Taverners fixtures to be posted on the new CL website for 2019.
- CL to consider hosting a mass taverners nets session and introductory level coaching session in advance of the 2019 season.
- CL to consider how best to promote the over 50s/masters cricket concept; this should start by reaching out to all registered members who meet the age criteria.
- Potential for a charity component attaching to significant social cricket events.
I hope this list captures all key actions - please feel free to send me any additional points.
It is likely that we will engage with people in smaller groups to progress some of these actions and will keep everyone informed on progress with a further potential group session in a few weeks time.
Thanks again for all your help and input to-date.
Latest news 2019.
April 2019 Update: Pitch has now had its first cut and the crease is marked for upcoming season, a huge thanks to Philip and Eddie for giving up their time to do the work. Roll on the 3rd May and the game against the Knights.
April 2019 - Nets sessions have been confirmed for Friday the 12th (from 7pm to 8 pm) and Tuesday the 16th of April (from 8:15 pm to 9:15 pm) , at Terenue College. All welcome. Note the second nets session was rescheduled from the original date of Friday 19th April to Tuesday 16th April. The Friday session has been cancelled.
March 2019: To finalise the 2018 season the Annual Dinner and Presentations is being held at the Terenure College Rugby Club in Lakelands, Terenure on Saturday 16th February and will be catered by the fabulous Damian Kelly - for great food at a very reasonable price check out his website @ www.kellycatering.com .
Looking forward to 2019 - the full match fixture list has now been published. We hope to add a couple of nets sessions in the College (this will be appended to the fixture list when we get more information). The big change this year is for the first time we have a few home games in May.
Tour dates and location are yet to be finalised. News of this will also be published as and when we get the info.
Good luck to our delegation in Japan for the Rugby World Cup later in the year. Looking forward to a full synopsis of the epic journey from the tourists (at least that which can legally be printed).